Learn the equipment I use and recommend for photography, photo-editing, & outdoor adventures.
I post these lists to help you make informed decisions on equipment that works, without having to waste time and money on equipment that doesn’t.
Along with this page, you can also reference my Night Sky Photography Camera & Lens Recommendations & Ultimate Guide to Backpacking pages, to access equipment & guides on those specific topics.
Page Table of Contents
Use the links below to jump to the gear section of your choice, or scroll down to read them all.
Photography & Outdoor Equipment Videos
Cameras (DSLR & Video Equipment)
Nikon D810 ( Main / Photography ): Best dynamic range of any full frame camera on the market. Tough metal body perfect for mountaineering and backpacking.
I highly recommend this camera to all landscape photographers who expect their gear to perform at the top level and take a beating at the same time.
Nikon D800 ( Backup / Photography ): I feel the same about this camera as the D810. The dynamic range isn’t quite as good, but still all around a great camera.
I don’t carry this backup for backpacking / traveling. This is a backup camera for long distance photo trips. This used to be my main camera and has worked perfectly for the past 5 years.
Go Pro Hero 7 Video Camera (Main Video): I use this setup to make all my YouTube Videos. With the following audio, below, this is my favorite setup ever. Very compact. Easy to use and great stabilization without a Gimbal.
Audio Setup for Go Pro: The Go Pro in camera audio is not usable. Don’t waste your time! Here is what I use which works great for making outdoor, photography and backpacking videos.
- Go Pro Mic Adapter. It’s bulky but worth it so you do not have to sync external audio. The sound is very good! People complain about this adapter because they don’t set it up right, as denoted below.
- Attach Mic Adapter to top of Go Pro 7 Case using this velcro tape with sticky sides so you can remove it as required.
- Mic which plugs into Go Pro Audio Adapter
- Insert this Wind Screen on Mic First, and the next on top of it. This makes for great sound with no wind noise.
- Second Wind Screen for Mic
Charging the Go Pro in the Field:
- I carry 3 Go Pro Hero 7 Batteries and:
- (2) Anker Power Bricks which plug directly into the Go Pro, to charge batteries, when out on backpacking trips. This also charges my phone which I use for GPS navigation in the backcountry.
Go Pro Handle / Stick: This must be used with the audio setup above. If you use it without external audio it’s noisy! I like this handle because it’s very small and weighs nothing allowing the full camera to fit in my hip pocket on my backpacking bag
Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G Wide Angle: Best landscape & astro-photography lens on the planet.
Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 Wide Angle Zoom: Decent lens, but overall the most versatile for landscape photography & backpacking.
Tripod, Ballhead & L-Bracket
With the following head and L-bracket.
- Really Right Stuff BH-30 Ball head with Clamp.
- Really Right Stuff BD800-L: L-Plate for Nikon D800/800E. I keep one on each camera for easy use.
This is my favorite tripod setup to date. It’s sturdy, lightweight & takes a beating.
More Equipment Below
|Camping in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness – Washington|
The following set of “Best Filters” I highly recommend. I’ve also tried the Formatt Hitech filters and holder for the Nikkor 14-24mm lens and they were not up to par with the WonderPana Sytem.
Both of these systems were tested in the field for a few months. WonderPana is top notch stuff & easy to pack for hiking & camping, as well as much higher quality.
The Best Filters ( In My Opinion )
- WonderPana 145 System Holder for Nikkor 14-24mm Lens
- Tiffen 77mm Circular Polarizer for Nikkor 28-300mm Lens
Computer & Photo Editing Software
- Macbook Pro Retina 2015 – 2.8Ghz i7, 32GB of Ram ( after market install ), Solid State 500GB HD.
- Creative Cloud Photography Package ( Lightroom & Photoshop )
- Travel Backup Drives – (2) WD 2TB Hard Drives
- Home Drives – (2) WD 6TB Hard Drives
- Datacolor Spyder5 PRO Display Calibration System