Learn the equipment I use and recommend for photography, backpacking, & world travel.
I post these lists to help you make informed decisions on photography & backpacking equipment that works, without having to waste time and money on equipment that doesn’t.
Table of Contents – Photo Equipment
My photography, travel & backpacking equipment is broken up into three pages, as provided below:
- What’s in My Camera Bag ( Current Page ): Includes camera & photography gear only. Reference link below for backpacking, camping and travel gear.
- Star, Milky Way & Night Sky Cameras & Lenses: A brief overview of my night sky camera gear and other camera gear which I don’t personally own, but have thoroughly used and tested.
- Ultimate Guide to Backpacking ( Trekking ) and Traveling with Photography & Camera Gear: Includes all camera, photography, camping, backpacking and travel gear, plus packing guide and video overview off why I chose certain gear and brands. This is the most in-depth backpacking for photographers resource you will find online. Guaranteed!
|Click for Gear List & Packing Guide|
Nikon D810 ( Main & Video ): Best dynamic range of any full frame camera on the market. Tough metal body perfect for mountaineering and backpacking.
I highly recommend this camera to all landscape photographers who expect their gear to perform at the top level and take a beating at the same time.
Nikon D800 ( Backup ): I feel the same about this camera as the D810. The dynamic range isn’t quite as good, but still all around a great camera.
I don’t carry this backup for backpacking / traveling. This is a backup camera for long distance photo trips. This used to be my main camera and has worked perfectly for the past 5 years.
EN-EL 15 Replacement Batteries: Awesome deal. Work just as well as the real Nikon batteries.
Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G Wide Angle: Best landscape & astro-photography lens on the planet.
Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 Wide Angle Zoom: Decent lens, but overall the most versatile for landscape photography & backpacking.
More Equipment Below
|The Full Moon Lights Las Torres ( The Towers ) in Southern Chile – March 2015|
Tripods, Ballheads & L-Brackets
TVC-34L Versa Series 3 Tripod – Road Trips / Day Hiking: This is my favorite tripod in the world, but it’s very heavy.
- BH-55 LR Ballhead – Best ball head on the market. Also very heavy.
- BD800-L: L-Plate for Nikon D800/800E. I keep one on each camera for easy use.
MeFoto Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod – Backpacking & International Travel: I shoot with this tripod 85% of the time. It does really well for being so small.
That being said it’s nowhere near as sturdy or easy to use as the tripod noted above. I still recommend this setup to anyone that’s going to be doing long range backpacking and photography trips. The ball head is included in the cost.
|Camping in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness – Washington|
Camera / Lens Filters
The following set of “Best Filters” I highly recommend. I’ve also tried the Formatt Hitech filters and holder for the Nikkor 14-24mm lens and they were not up to par with the WonderPana Sytem.
Both of these systems were tested in the field for a few months. WonderPana is top notch stuff & easy to pack for hiking & camping, as well as much higher quality.
The Best Filters ( In My Opinion )
- WonderPana 145 System Holder for Nikkor 14-24mm Lens
- Tiffen 77mm Circular Polarizer for Nikkor 28-300mm Lens
Computer & Photo Editing Software
- Macbook Pro Retina 2015 – 2.8Ghz i7, 32GB of Ram ( after market install ), Solid State 500GB HD.
- Creative Cloud Photography Package ( Lightroom & Photoshop )
- (2) WD 6TB Hard Drives
- Datacolor Spyder4PRO Display Calibration System